Tuesday, February 9, 2010

master letters




Master Letter 3
Summer 1861









*

Master
If you saw a bullet
hit a bird- and he told you
he was'nt shot- you might weep
at his courtesy, but you would
certainly doubt his word-
One drop more from the gash
that stains your Daisy's
bosom- then would you believe?
Thomas' faith in anatomy- was
stronger than his faith in faith.
God made me- Sir- (Master-) I did'nt
be- myself- He I dont know how
it was done- He built the
heart in me- Bye and bye
it outgrow me- and like
the little mother- with the
big child- I got tired
holding him- I heard of a
thing called "Redemption"- which
rested men and women-






*










*
You remember I asked you
for it- you gave me something
else- I forget the Redemption
in the Redeemed- I did'nt
tell you for a long time- but
I knew you had altered me-
I
(and) was tired- no more(+) -so dear
did this stranger become, that
were it, or my breath- the
alternative- I had tossed
the fellow away with a smile.

I am older- tonight, Master-
but the love is the same
so are the moon and the
crescent- if it had been
God's will that I might
breathe where you breathed-
and find the place- myself-
at night- if I (can) never forget
that I am not with you
and that sorrow and frost
are nearer than I- if I wish

















*
*








*
with a might I cannot
repress- that mine were the
Queen's place- the love of
the- Plantagenet is my only
apology- To come nearer
than Presbyteries- and nearer than
the new coat- that the Tailor
made- the prank of the Heart
at play on the Heart- in holy
Holiday- is forbidden me-
You make me say it over-
I fear you laugh- when I do
not see- but "Chillon" is not
funny. Have you the Heart in
your breast- Sir- is it set
like mine- a little to the left-
has it the misgiving- if it
wake in the night- perchance-
itself to it- a timbrel is it-
itself to it a tune?
These things are reverent (holy), Sir,
I tough them reverently (hallowed), but











*






*






*
persons who pray- dare remark
our "Father!" You say I do
not tell you all- Daisy "confessed-
and denied not."
Vesuvius dont talk- Etna- dont-
They (2) said a syllable- (1) one of them-
a thousand years ago, and
Pompeii heard it, and hid
forever- She could'nt look the
world in the face, afterward-
I suppose- Bashful Pompeii!
"Tell you of the want"- you
know what a leech is, dont
you- and (remember that) Daisy's arm is small-
and you have felt the Horizon-
hav'nt you- and did the
sea- (n)ever come so close as
to make you dance?
I dont know what you can
do for it- thank you- Master-













*









*
*
-but if I had the Beard on
my cheek- (like you-) and you- had Daisy's
petals- and you cared so for
me- what would become of you?
Could you forget (me) in fight, or
flight- or the foreign land?
Could Carlo, and you and I
walk in the meadows an hour-
and nobody care but the Bobolink-
and his- a silver scruple?
I used to think when I died
I could see you- so I died
as fast as I could- but the
"Corporation" are going (too)- so Eternity Heaven
wont be sequestered- at all (now)-
Say I may wait for you-
Say I need go with no stranger
to the to me- untried country (fold)
I waited a long time- Master-
but I can want more- wait
till my hazel hair is dappled-












*

*

*




*



*
and you carry the cane-
then I can look at my
watch- and if the Day is
too far declined- we can take
the chances of (for) Heaven-
What would you do with me
if I came "in white"?
Have you the little chest- to
put the alive- in?
I want to see you more- Sir-
than all I wish for in
this world- and the wish-
altered a little- will be my
only one- for the skies-
Could you come to New England-
this summer- could (Would ) you come
to Amherst- Would you like
to come- Master?
Would it do harm- yet we both
fear God-
Would Daisy disappoint
you- no she would'nt- Sir-
it were comfort forever- just








to look in your face, while
you looked in mine- then I
could play in the woods- till
Dark- till you take me
where sundown cannot find
us- and the true keep
coming- till the town is full.
Will you tell me if you will?

I did'nt think to tell you, you
did'nt come to me "in white"-
nor ever told me why-

+No Rose, yet felt myself
a'bloom,
No Bird- yet rode in Ether-

< > inserted readings
you cancelled readings



* to the left of the line indicates the most likely
paragraph break, based on space and content,
determined by R.W.Franklin.



←Letter 2
Letter 1→


No comments:

Post a Comment