Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Small Wars

Today i started with a poem sent to me by my beautiful friend
Jamie Edlin. I am incredibly fortunate to be living and creating
(sandcastles & cloudpatterns)
somewhere in spain or holland next year.
¡ & Therefore reopening our blog: spanishreveries.blogspot.com !

Small War
by Sarah Arvio


I thought I had left behind the darkness
of the heart it was a plan leaving it
behind I planned to enter the trance of

sensual peace and fulfillment that was
my plan But the best-laid plans I say and
pause thinking it better not to mention

mice with their trail of dark images strange
scurry into dark holes the sense of un-
cleanliness the gamey smell a small-game

smell Oh there's a better word game the game
of the heart small game that's good too like small
arms and light weapons this is a small war

a small dark and secret war of the heart
The deer running fleet chased by the hounds
No not that game Heart war against all plan

thrusting out of its dark hole and
scurrying through the room of the life
Scurry or gallop the sound of horses'

hooves beating on the distant hill I've heard
that and thought they were running through my heart
Great gallop on the hill of a dark heart

Though war is too great a word even
small war when we remember the torture
chambers the real torture on the real flesh

the bullet piercing the flesh-and-blood heart
There are no words great or small to describe
the private torture of the hounded heart

---------------------------

I will be printing photos this week, back into the dark room..I´m going to move my exposition currently at Dos Gardenias, to La Tienda de Freddy Gaviria, fashion designer, lover of beautiful things like vintage fabrics, opera music, history radio, martinis & My Work. He was the first to buy a print from me in a long time..He encouraged me to dedicate myself more to my art and gave me some boosting energy and good advice on being an artist and taking your work seriously.

i find it, for example, very difficult to put a price on my work, if someone likes my work i´m so grateful i wanna give them a print. But that´s not taking yourself seriously, or taking into account all the time and love and lifestyle spent building an image.
Freddy´s phrase is ´Talent & Hard Work Means Success.´
Of course that´s an easy phrase, but it´s true in this part of the world more often that not. He´s definitely prove of that.( It´s much more difficult than it sounds, in Reality.I am barely convinced of my talent, and hard work & discipline are not part of my vocabulary..That´s not entirely true. But let´s just say so, because that´s what it looks like from the outside.
But working hard and showing up at the page and rising to the occasion and all of that, any of those little truths, I think, always have to do with believing in your work, allowing yourself to do what you love and not putting all your energy in things that are hardly important to you, but have a deadline and therefore are taking with the utmost seriousness. Like The Job )
So, anyway, i have been devoting time to writings, teachings and imagery that are inspiring, that make my days feel coherent and full. To taking long walks and accepting some facts about how i work, like that routines killed the cat, and that is should never plan anything like an appointment if it can be avoided. It´s just not good for me. I love random encounters and last-minute decisions, but very few appointments or dates. I look at them and they block my view. They effect time before the fixed moment where Something Has to Be Done. And it could be the most wonderful thing in the world. That has nothing to do with it.
Sooo. Going into the darkroom to print some photos i haven't seen on paper, so that´s exciting. have to but paper and chemicals. Actually i am procrastinating right now

No comments:

Post a Comment